Assistance to Residents with computer or television problems
Coronavirus restrictions have prompted the administration to develop a system whereby residents can obtain in person assistance for such problems. This was announced at the September KRA meeting and published September 17, 2020 in Lisa Marsilio’s weekly update memo:
“Our process remains that if you have computer needs, please first put in a work order with Maintenance (Tracy DiFilippo). Staff members will help you troubleshoot your issues. If they cannot help you, they will refer your concerns to our Director of IT, James Craig. If James cannot help, he will work with you on getting our vetted outside contractor to come on-site to help. That contractor will be an added cost. Unfortunately, you cannot invite other guests to the campus.”
- The FBIs Prevention Tips brochure on its Internet Crime Complaint Center
- Federal Trade Commission on tech support scams
Computer Learning Books
The Communications Committee has provided our Library with six useful computer guides for basic instruction. The books may be checked out for a three-week period. All of the books listed are located in our Library.
- A Simpler Guide to Gmail, 2018 ed.
- Android Tablets for Seniors in Easy Steps
- My iPad for Seniors
- My iPad for Seniors for Dummies
- Office 2010 for Dummies
- Windows 10 for Seniors for the Beginning Computer User
- Windows 10 for Seniors: Get Started with Windows 10
Free Web-Based Computer Skills Training
There are several on-line resources to develop computer skills for beginners. Topics are short and easy to master. We have provided several valuable links below.
- Goodwill Community Foundation – Learn Free. They offer a range of tutorials including and beyond computer skills.
- Vermont Counsel on Rural Development. This series presents 15 short lessons covering a wide range of topics designed for Senior Citizens and beginner computer users.
- Justin Young Tutorial–Setting up a new GMail account. A short YouTube video demonstrating how to create a new GMail account.
- JAG Tutorials–Using Windows 10. A short YouTube video designed to provide a beginner’s guide to Windows 10.
- David A. Cox Tutorials–Using Windows 7. A short YouTube video designed to provide a beginner’s guide to Windows 7.
- Get CyberSafe–Creating a Secure Password. A short YouTube video illustrating how to create a strong password that’s easy to remember and how to keep it safe.
- Get CyberSafe–How to Identify Secure Websites. A short YouTube video illustrating how you can determine if a website is safe and trustworthy for you to transmit personal information.
Computer Sales and Service Not Available During Covid 19 Restrictions
If your need goes beyond the help available here at Kendal, the vendors on our list have been used and recommended by residents.
- Charles Ring. He can assist with any computer problems you may have (Mac or PC) and offers other services such as electronics purchasing and service. He will help with the set-up and use of a variety of electronic equipment. He is the husband of a Kendal employee. (610-470-8702). firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brad Shomo. PC Freelance Specialist. Brad works for the Kennett School District as their computer technician. He is willing to provide computer service to Kendal residents during his free time. He guarantees his service to be personable and friendly, offering a free consultation and estimate before beginning work. His cell phone number is 610-804-2598.
- Jim Kogut. Microsoft trained. Will do house calls at $99 per hour. Recommended by James Craig — Kendal’s IT person. phone number is 610-444-5962, email at email@example.com.
- West Chester Computer Doctors. PC Specialists. Friendly, free estimates, reasonable. They can often repair the problem remotely. (610) 431-0400. For their website, click here. For Yelp reviews, click here.
- The Mac Shop. Mac Specialist. The owner is highly recommended by those who have used him. He is a Mac “Geek” who is very knowledgeable, reasonable and pleasant to work with. He’s located at Trolley Square in Wilmington (888) 947-6227. For their website, click here. For Yelp reviews, click here.
- McMobile. Mac Specialist. The owner’s name is Yukio and he comes highly recommended. He’s located in Drexel Hill for those who would find it difficult to drive into Wilmington. (610)-734-2222. For their website, click here. For Yelp reviews, click here.
- Matrix Systems. Authorized Mac sales, service and warranty repair located in Newtown Sauare, PA. Used and recommended by residents; the owner is Douglas White. (610-359-0129). For their website, click here. For Yelp reviews, click here.
Springboard Media, Authorized Mac sales, service, training and warranty repair located in at 290 Main St., Exton, PA 19341. For their website, click here. Phone: (610) 280-3800.
- Apple Store, Christiana Mall. In addition to sales of all Apple products, staff at all Apple stores provides provides user support. Contact support.apple.com to get help by phone, chat, or email, set up a repair, or make a Genius Bar reservation.
- Geek Squad, the Best Buy tech support service, both in-store and in your home. Description here. The closest Best Buy store is at 4807 Concord Pike, Wilmington. Geek Squad phone (800) 433-5778.